Printfriendly

Print Friendly and PDF

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Update and Old-Fashioned Pecan Pie!

Hello everyone! Happy Thursday! I am sorry I didn't post my usual/traditional quotes on Tuesday! it's been busy here and I've been a little bit under the weather...

Sunday was a very emotional day in church... it was "Adoption Sunday" and ... well... everything that has to do with children being abandoned/abused, etc just really affects me... then we attended an Adoption Forum in the evening... and all the stories just break my heart and actually have physical consequences! I just felt sick for the next two days... We're praying about adoption... it's not something certain... but ... we're open to look into it.

 Then on Tuesday (still not entirely well)  I went with a group of ladies from church to the Houston Mission Centers, I was a little hesitant about going... because of how I was feeling but it was a blessing and we had a blast! Bagging Rice/Beans, Sweeping, organizing skates for the children who go and play there, inflating balls, weeding in the gardens, making bags of candy, etc... (I didn't do all that, I am just mentioning the chores that were assigned to all of us) ... so... that was a good reason to not be able to blog, don't you think? Here is a picture of all of us!

I am the first one standing from left to right

Yesterday, I just took it a little slower and I did feel better! I think I was needing a break... Today... well, here I am! Looking forward to tomorrow's Coffee Friday! Did you think I forgot? Well no! So I hope you join us!

Now... here comes the Recipe to make a delicious and very old-fashioned Pecan Pie! It uses Maple Syrup and Molasses instead of Karo Syrup, to make sure it has the robustness, deep flavor and crisp crust from the original Pecan Pies.

This Pie is Original from the Cook's Country Show/Site... and I thought it would be great to share with all of you!


Pecan Pie, Top it with Homemade Whipped Cream Preferably

Ingredients
  • 1 cup maple syrup
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon molasses (regular or light, not dark)
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • 6 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups toasted and chopped pecans
  • 1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell (you can use your favorite pie shell or my own recipe which I shared in the Pumpkin Pie Recipe I posted a few days ago), chilled in pie plate for 30 minutes
Instructions
  • 1. Make Filling: Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Heat sugar, syrup, cream, and molasses in saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes. Whisk butter and salt into syrup mixture until combined. Whisk in egg yolks until incorporated.
  • 2. Bake Pie: Scatter pecans in pie shell. Carefully pour filling over. Place pie in hot oven and immediately reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Bake until filling is set and center jiggles slightly when pie is gently shaken, 45 to 60 minutes. Cool pie on rack for 1 hour, then refrigerate until set, about 3 hours and up to 1 day. The wait is totally worth it! Bring to room temperature before serving.
 Enjoy!

© Paloma K.

No comments: