.... and now... the recipe:
As good as sweet memories " Lighter Chicken and Biscuits"
(Slightly adapted from Martha Stewart's recipes)
|Inspired by southern comfort food. It's not exactly "low calorie" but it is still a healthier version.|
Today is SIMPLE LIVES THURSDAY ... if you want to know more about it visit Diana's blog: "A Little Bit of Spain in Iowa" go visit her and join her on this project! It is very cool! It's all about tips/recipes, etc... on living a "Simple (and wholesome) life" ... I hope you like it.
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, such as safflower
- 1 cup low-fat (1 percent) milk -You can use whole milk if you prefer-
- 5 carrots, thinly sliced
- 5 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 box (10 ounces) frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together whole-wheat flour, 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg white, 3 tablespoons oil, and 1/4 cup milk; add to flour mixture, and stir until moistened. Drop four 1/4-cup scoops of dough onto a baking sheet, at least 2 inches apart. Bake until golden, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a 5-quart Dutch oven or large heavy pot, heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high. Add carrots, celery, and onions; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle vegetables with remaining 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour; stir in remaining 3/4 cup milk, 1/2 cup water, and thyme. Simmer until liquid is thickened, 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, (add more liquid if too thick). Add chicken; simmer until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve chicken stew with biscuits.
So... to good friends! ... ENJOY!
© Paloma K